Signed in as:
Signed in as:
Founded on 29th July 1897, and known as the Woodley and Romiley Golf Club until 1908, our first home was on an area of 31.5 acres of land to the north of Werneth Road however, it soon became apparent that the land wasn't suitable for golf and so the new, current home, of Goosehouse Green was secured in 1898.
Once at the new ground, the first 'Clubhouse' pavilion was designed and built in 1899 by way of borrowing from both members and the Clubs bankers. The course layout, of the original 9 holes was also laid out at that point by the head groundsman of the time, Mr Arthur Larder, who remained with the Club until 1922.
Romiley's first Club Professional, from 1900 to 1902, was Tom Beck, a Jersey born gentleman who came to England, with his brother, on the recommendation of renowned professional, and 6 time Open champion, Harry Vardon.
By 1908, the course was again deemed insufficient for the Club and so additional land was leased, making a total of 52.5 acres and a new, longer 9 hole layout developed by Mr Larder and the then Club Professional, Mr Charles Le Chevalier. The new 9 hole course was opened in July 1909 by Dr Thomas P Blades who also oversaw an extension to the original pavilion building.
Further additions to the course footprint were seen in 1914 in advance of the Clubs intentions to extend the layout to a full 18 holes, although these plans were disrupted by the first world war. It wasn't until 1924, when the Club secured the rights to enough land from the land owner, Captain Hudson, that the Club embarked on a detailed study of eight, 18-hole, layouts in the Manchester district with a view to extending its own site.
At that point, course architect, Tom Renouf, was engaged and set about to utilise the natural contours of the now extended land, to plan and design what is now known as one of, if not, the best layouts in the whole of the North West with stunning views across the Cheshire countryside and towards the foothills of the Peak District National Park. The original letter from the architect can be seen in the gallery section below.
Conways Ltd, Golf Course Constructors, overseen by both the architect, Tom Renouf, and the then Club Professional, Gordon Good, who remained as professional for 38 years, were subsequently commissioned to set about realising those designs. The finished course was a 6,120 yard, 18-hole layout, and was officially opened on Saturday 2nd October 1926. The final layout can be seen in the gallery below.
Over the years, the course layout has been both shortened and extended, renumbered and improved, to form the current layout, measuring 6,355 yards from the competition tees, with a par of 70. Please see the gallery section for the various layouts used at Romiley over the years.
Each heavily tree lined hole now makes Romiley an idyllic yet highly challenging course.
The Club also offers excellent amenities for visitors and societies, with refreshments, light snacks or full meals served daily in our main clubhouse function room in addition to the facilities available in our 'half way' hut.
If you would like to hear more about joining our fantastic Club, hiring our function room or anything else please explore the site and get in touch with us for more information.
Tommy 'Tom' Renouf was a Jersey born professional golfer who came to England and established himself as a prominent player of his era.
He had five top - 10 finishes in the Open Championship and could boast of a victory over the great Walter Hagen.
Born in Grouville, Jersey, Renouf grew up in the same village as the legendary Harry Vardon. By the age of 17, and barely speaking any English, he had turned professional and came to the North of England to make his mark on the game.
His first post was at the Roundhay club in Leeds, from where he went to Shipley. After only a short spell at Shipley he moved to Carlisle and Silloth in 1898, where he was to remain for 8 years, during which time he helped in the progress of one of golf's great lady golfers, Cecil Leitch.
In 1901 the Professional Golfers Association was formed, and Renouf became a founder member.
His ability was recognised with 6 England caps between 1903 and 1911, and a fine record of 7 wins in 10 matches against Scotland.
In 1906 Tom moved to the flourishing Manchester Golf Club, then located at Trafford Park. The Manchester Club, having started life at a course known as Manley Park, was again forced to move in 1912, this time to Hopwood Cottage, north of Manchester, where it remains today.
The club appointed the renowned Harry Colt to design their new site and Tom Renouf played a major part in supervising its construction and on going maintenance. He also designed several courses in the north, including the layout at Romiley.
Renouf remained at Hopwood for many years, becoming a highly respected player, teacher and clubmaker. He reached the final of the News of the World tournament in 1923 having beaten the renowned Arthur Havers on his way to the final of this prestigous event.
In 1924 he scored a remarkable 66 at Hopwood, notable by the fact that it was completed in a violent thunderstorm!
The very next day he completed the same score, the bogey for the course at that time was 78 which indicates the significance of this achievement.
Tom's record in the Open was certainly impressive:
In 1929, Tom moved on to the Stockport Golf Club at Torkington where, just before his retirement in 1938, he played a 36 hole exhibition match against Henry Cotton.
Tom Renouf died at Marple, Cheshire in July, 1955 at the age of 77.
1897 Land occupied by the Woodley and Romiley Golf Club
Website by RDesign
© 2021 Romiley Golf Club - All Rights Reserved.